Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. Romans 1:28
- Depraved-make (someone) immoral or wicked. (corrupt, lead astray, warp, subvert, pervert, debauch, debase, degrade, defile, sully, pollute)
- Reprobate- express or feel disapproval of. an unprincipled person. (rogue, rascal, scoundrel, miscreant, good-for-nothing, villain, wretch, rake, degenerate, libertine, debauchee)
- Debased- reduce (something) in quality or value. (degrade, devalue, demean, cheapen, prostitute, discredit, drag down, tarnish, blemish)
The central focus of this scripture is “did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God”. Isn’t it a shame that we often times find ourselves dismissing the word of God, or dismissing the principals of goodness in our own selfish pursuits.
What the Lord desires from all of his creation is to acknowledge HIM. To humble ourselves, to praise Him, to put him in first place. To say Hi, to remember Him, to invite him into our daily lives and decision making. The Lord warns us in His word that our hearts are deceiving, and that we should not trust our selves. The bible even calls our hearts wicked, because all evil actions come from our hearts as well as good deeds. The bible often reminds us that God’s word should stand over our hearts and emotions, even logic. God is supernatural and therefore our finite minds tend to limit and box him in, and therefore he expects us to have and hold on to a childlike attitude of faith.
As humans we try to figure God out, we try to figure everything out but this simply gives us illusions and disappoints, and eventually leads us astray.
In order to acknowledge God we must be humble, and this doesn’t always come along with having faith. We must humble ourselves before God, and reserve our human reactions to God. And here I go again, with training our minds which is something God expects.
One of the most underrated things that us human beings do, is give glory to God. Rarely do we hear anyone say “God gave me the idea”, “God gave me the strength”, “God gave me the ability” to do so and so.
We give ourselves the glory, we give ourselves the credit. We forget God.
How does one get to be loosed by God to having a reprobate mind?
- Know God at any point and in any way, yet ignore God and live in sin.
- Know God God, and demand from God, eventually pushing God aside
- Seeing God’s glory in creation (heavens, universe, animals, science) but rejecting Him
- Tasting God’s goodness and mercy, and changing the scriptures to self’s advantage
I call out to you today to renew my heart and renew my mind to be a pleasing aroma to your nostrils. I do not want to offend you, reject you or leave you out of my daily life. I do not want to become someone of a lower nature, I do not want to be degraded to less than what you created. I do not want to see the day where I trade in your glory for money, or for a pat on my back. Help me to stand in faith, and humbly before you. May my heart grow in reverence and faith. May you help all believers around the globe to stand firm, and guard their hearts and minds in Jesus name, the one name that shamed principalities and powers, Amen.