No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him’ – but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 1 Corinthians 2:9-11
Holy Spirit is a teacher
When Jesus resurrected, He said it is necessary that I go to the father again because that way the Comforter should come. Before He left, He told the disciples and the group which was with Him, to wait for the promise of power that should come from the Holy Spirit. Although Holy Spirit comes to us and into our lives, it is not immediately we receive His power. The prophet Elijah I suppose, needed to have an intimate relationship and obedient lifestyle to be able to call fire down from heaven and embarrass the 400 Baal prophets. It is almost a slander to expect God’s power to manifest in a sinful and disobedient person, knowing that God is holy and just.
We are all entitled to this power from God, but we all are responsible to be found worthy and in relationship with God (Holy Spirit, Jesus and Jehovah, the One God).
- having or showing the qualities or abilities that merit recognition in a specified way: deserving effort, attention, or respect, good enough; suitable, deserve, merit, warrant, rate, justify, earn
The Holy Spirit gives liberty to the Christian, direction to the worker, discernment to the teacher, power to the word, and fruit to faithful service. He reveals the things of Christ.
When Jesus promised the people the Holy Spirit, he said after you do THEN, GO to all the world and preach the gospel. Why did He set it in this order? because the gospel is not mere words, it is power from God to set the captives free, set the
1 Corinthians 12:8-10
- Word of wisdom : Impart direction, counsel and encouragement
- Word of knowledge : Precise knowledge revealed by God- issue with breast, name of person, description of events etc
- Faith Gifts of healings : Healing of blind, handicapped, diseases, deliverance from demonic bondage, etc (Jesus)
- Miracles : Separation of water (Moses & Joshua), Walk on water (Jesus & Peter), animals speak (Balaam), etc
- Prophecy : Revelation of past or future events, to direct, exhort and encourage
- Discernment of spirits : Distinguishing what is of God or not, knowing of what spirit is operating
- Tongues : Angelic language given to communicate in the spirit real, with God to our spirit, God’s spirit to demonic spirits
- Interpretation of tongues : understanding of angelic language
In this scripture we see that God graces each of us to do certain things, and perform exceptionally well in certain areas- including the desire to do so.
- Prophecy : the gift of communicating and enforcing revealed truth.
- Serving : service, ministration.
- Teaching : instruct, impart knowledge
- Exhortation : urge others to do something, direction (re-direct), send for, summon, invite, entreat, beg, admonish, comfort, encourage, console.
- Giving : share: impart, bestow.
- Leadership : preside, rule over, give attention to, direct
- Mercy : pity, have mercy on
Thank you Lord because you know and you do as your please. You have given us gifts to edify each other in the church, and even though the church may be ignorant due to lack of faith or understanding- and may even reject us, or doubt us- I pray Lord Jesus, that you continue to develop our relationships with you. That we may mature in your call, and in this relationship with you, not focusing on our agenda, but yours. May we partner up with you, to do as you please. May we not look at other people’s gifts, and may we not be proud or neglectful with them (your gifts). In Jesus name, Amen.