For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12
Our enemy works in the air
The combat is not against human enemies, nor against our own corrupt nature only; we have to do with an enemy who has a thousand ways of tricking us and attacking, most of his work is in the air.
What is the armor of God?
- Helmet of Salvation: ask God to place on our head the helmet of salvation so that our head is protected from the bad thoughts that the devil tries to give us.
- Breastplate of righteousness: keeps our hearts clean
- Belt of truth: only truth enters our thoughts, walk in truth
- Shoes of the gospel of Peace: we are ready to go wherever God leads us, bringing peace to others
- Shield of faith: belief that God is faithful to His word, protects us from the bad things
- Sword of the Spirit: we must read our Bibles every day to know the scriptures to defend and attack the enemy
- Pray without ceasing: the glue to it all
How do we use these in everyday life?
- “You failed to God you go to hell” ->
- “Allah is God, Jesus is only a prophet” ->
- “Do not forgive her, she is a gossiper” ->
- “You’re never going to become what God says” ->
- “I’m not ready to tell anyone that Jesus is Lord” ->
- “Why go to the church, you pray, read the Bible and watch preachings at home” ->
“The sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. It subdues and crushes evil desires and ungodly thoughts as they rise within; and answers unbelief and error as they assault from the outside. A single text, well understood, and rightly applied, at once destroys a temptation or doubt, and subdues the most difficult opposition. Prayer must fasten all the other parts of our Christian armor.”
Matthew Henry Commentary
The enemy works hard to attack our minds because whatever is in our minds eventually goes to our hearts. And our hearts produce behavior (Proverbs 4:23, Matthew 15:19). So the breastplate protects our hearts from direct attack. Our faith defends us from all the darts he throws our way. And the shoes keep us at attention, on alert to be a testimony to other at all times. The word of God, is the sword which kills any giants coming at us.
We come before you asking for your strength and wisdom. There is a lot we face, there are things we hide, and there is a space that only you can fill, and we want you to do so God. Please hear us as we pray with a sincere and humbled heart. Give us a hunger for you, so that we see your view instead of our own. May your love be written on our heart, and be deeply in-bedded in our hearts as well. In Jesus name, Amen.