As Saul turned to leave Samuel, God changed Saul’s heart, and all these signs were fulfilled that day. 1 Samuel 10:9
I believe in the office and ministry of prophets and apostles. I have learned in this journey with God, that church is not the last or most knowledgeable counsel or form of instruction. The bible has so much to say for our lives, but the church in general teaches as their accepted doctrine agenda dictates. Some preachers get lost in encouraging their flock, others in manipulating, others in making disciples, others only in worship and serving, etc. Today’s message is not about the church I just wanted to clear the air because the church people can be very ignorant, to say the least. Some churches will abandon the move of God’s Holy Spirit, in the prophetic and apostolic ministries, Because of fear, religiosity and a need for submission. This quenches the Holy Spirit, and He is saddened by being deterred from fulfilling His work to heal and liberate, in turn drying up the people in the congregation. I pray God would shake up His church, and bring to sorrowful repentance any people who have done this, even if their intent is well meaning.
We can see that the prophet is not someone who is quick to speak, but one who hears directly from God. Samuel ministered to the Lord all of His life, even when He did not “know” God. But Samuel became taught of the Lord, and this determined He would be Israel’s prophet. Lesson One: Be taught of God.
Prophets give exhortation (direction), encouragement (counsel) and comfort all for the growth of the church members. (1 Corinthians 14:3)
Samuel does this in the previous verses:
When thou art departed from me to day…
1. you will find 2 men by Rachel’s sepulchre in the border of Benjamin at Zelzah; and they will say unto you, The asses which you went to seek are found: and, your father has left the care of the asses, and worries for you, saying, What shall I do for my son? Then will go on and come to the plain of Tabor, and there meet three men going up to God to Bethel, one carrying three kids, and another carrying three loaves of bread, and another carrying a bottle of wine: And they will salute you, and give you two loaves of bread; which you should receive.
- He gave direction (time and place)
- He gave insight which comforted AND consoled (emotionally)
- He gave counsel (accept the food of the 3 men)
2. After that you will come to the hill of God, where is the garrison of the Philistines: and it shall come to pass, when you are close to the city, that you will meet a company of prophets coming down from the high place with a psaltery, and a tabret, and a pipe, and a harp, before them; and they shall prophesy: And the Spirit of the Lord will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man.
- Declared the unction of God over his life, and should serve as a confirmation to His appointment to be King over Israel
A change of heart is supernatural. Nobody can change somebody else, only God.
Father God, I come before you in the name of Jesus not asking you for a husband, or a new job, or any material temporary thing; I ask you today to give us a new heart according to your will and mercy. We want to live, and we know that this is only accomplished by your spirit dwelling in us and us allowing you to change us. May you continue your work in us, and may we not move ourselves from off your potter’s wheel. may we receive a tender, gentle and responsive heart, so that we may be effective Christians not emotional. May we delight in your word, and in your voice, and may we be exceedingly glad to be your servants. May we not resolve to go outside of ourselves for fixes, may we maintain your miracle working power by fasting, praying and worship. In Jesus name, Amen.