Now may the God of peace himself make you completely holy and may your spirit and soul and body be kept entirely blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23
How do we take care of our bodies?
Taking care of yourself physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually is a MUST. We are not taught in school nor by our parents to take care of our mind and bodies. We have to understand that we affect our physical bodies by our emotional, mental and spiritual lives. And truth is many are oblivious to the fact. Our bodies are like a space suit we wear to be able to live on earth. Jesus Christ needed to be born of a woman, to be able to live on this earth (the Holy Spirit impregnated her: she was a virgin as the scriptures say). But if we think that we are only a body, we miss out on living the life God desires for all of us to live.
God created us to be Spirit, Soul and Body. The body receives information from the senses (seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and touching). When a person is called carnal or sensual, is because they are operating in their flesh (the mind of the body suit). But remember we are more than just our body, we are souls with a spirit. Once we become Christians, the Holy Spirit and OUR spirit become ONE. The spirit receives from God, and the soul receives from outside influence like other people, and the information is contained and processed in the mind and the emotions. The body receives from the senses.
- Spirit: God conscious
- Soul: Psychological (relates to people)
- Body: World conscious (relates to surrounding environment)
Stay active in physical exercise
- Be clean (bathe, brush, soak, etc.)
- Treat your body (lotions, perfumes, body sprays, hair salon and treatments, etc.)
- Engage in fun activities with others (Ecclesiastes 5:18, 19)
- Leisure time (spa days like massages, body treatments, listen to music etc.)
- Eating for health benefits (proverbs 23:2, 21)
- Sleep & Rest (Genesis 2:2)
From personal experience and dealing with many people from all age ranges, I KNOW that people neglect their own bodies. Stress creeps in, bitterness makes a home in the heart and lack of exercise brings so many side effects. These all cause cancer, high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritis and so much more. Our souls affect us so harshly, and it is all in scientific studies in case you don’t believe me. How can we help ourselves, we have to go to work! And persevere until it becomes a LIFESTYLE.
Keep your mind active
- Be creative: create things (cook, draw, paint, dance, sing, write, sow etc.)
- Engage in conversations (meet new people, relate, share your story and listen to others)
- Learn new things (languages, autobiographies, family history, etc.)
Show yourself love and appreciation
- Spending time alone
- Enjoy what you eat (1 Cor. 10:31)
- Dressing nice, make up, smelling good etc., for yourself
- Treat yourself (give yourself a gift: movies, shopping (1 Cor. 10:23)
- Accept all parts of yourself (the good, the bad and the ugly) Psalm 139
- Approve of yourself & congratulate OR disapprove of yourself & confront issues
- ENCOURAGE YOURSELF!
In what ways do you take care of your body? In what areas do you think you can improve? How?
Lord God, thank you for our emotions and the power of our minds. You are so amazing, and have created us in such a wonderful way. Thank you for our bodies, our abilities and agility. Thank you for a sound mind. May your grace and love continue to be poured afresh over us so that we can love ourselves the RIGHT way. May we know when to say no, when we need to keep our peace. May we see from a far when our bodies are in need of rest. And instead of overthinking lord, may you teach us that we have creative outlets to release. May we run from self harming things like fornication, drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, food, and anything else that may be abused to escape. In Jesus name, Amen.