As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17
God gives us the desires of our hearts, by giving us strategies to carry out, with a team.
I have almost innately been aware of my need for other people, I have always prayed for a team. Now that I think about it I have been praying for a team even before being a Christian, that’s interesting. The issue of needing people, is the possibility of disappointment. Every relationship is prone to bring with it good and bad. Some people come to stay, and others need to get out of you way. Some people come for a season, and others for a reason. Anyhow, after overcoming the bitterness of being disappointed after a few painful relationships, I began to pray that the body of Christ understands that we are interdependent, and should focus on taking care of each other’s well being. A phone call, a text, a prayer goes a long way- my mom always says the small details are what matters. I have known God to be a God of strategy, the bible tells me that He can bring miracles into our lives but God is also a sovereign strategist. And He happens to include many people to bring about His purpose.
If we look at the story of Joshua, Moses and Nehemiah it becomes evident that God has plans under His sleeve- He just needs us to seek His plans and be obedient in doing. God could have destroyed the entire city of Jericho, but instead He gave Joshua instruction for all the people. Moses was overwhelmed in leading the people of Israel, but God sent him Jethro to give him a strategy. He was to impart of his leadership spirit into 70 elders, so that he may delegate. God also instructed Moses for the people of Israel to mark their homes with the lamb’s blood, so that the angel of death would Passover- I believe that some disobedient or neglectful Jews did die that day too. And one of my favorite stories, is what God did through Nehemiah. God gave Nehemiah the burden of of seeing His Israel unprotected; He had a desire to rebuild the walls but God had the strategy. These were all God strategies, but God gave them partnership; a team.
- Relationship: sharing; fellowship (communion or communication); friendly association, especially with people who share one’s interests
- Companionship: connected-ness, having or sharing with others certain things in common such as interest, goals, feelings, beliefs, activities, labor, privileges and responsibilities, experiences, and concerns
- Partnership: participation, take part together, working towards the same goal (how we are related to each other)
I have learned a lot during my times of frustration, and what I have learned is that we can have a relationship and not be companions, not even be a team. It still bothers me a bit, but I have learned to learn that God works in seasons and He sends whoever He wants, whenever we need them. I have learned that friends are not always team members, and that team members are not always friends! Some people come into your life because they know you are a prayer warrior, so they come into relationship with you for that reason. Someone else may come into your life because you like to have a good time, and they are bored with their life- so they join in relationship with you for your energy. Maybe you won’t understand why you are searching for more, maybe you are married, have a big family, have a business and have a couple best friends- but you aren’t exactly filled in the relationship area. Is this even possible? Yes its is, and it is because we have a lot of people in our lives, but have them in incorrect positions where they do not fit and function properly.
A few years ago, I learned from TD Jakes that we will come across a lot of people in our lifetime. As an engaging person God taught me through him, that not everybody that comes into our lives is sent to be your friend. We must always guard our hearts, not hide our hearts, but use discernment and wisdom when engaging with others.
- TD Jakes: Down for you, people that can feed you. Commitment to you, not to the cause.
- Dictionary: a person with whom one shares a secret or private matter, trusting them not to repeat it to others.
- TD Jakes: they are not into you, they are into what you are for: for your cause. They will leave you, because they are not for you, they are for the cause. They love what you do, and will leave when something else furthers their agenda.
- Dictionary: member of an organization or constituency, component of something; a body of voters in a specified area who elect a representative to a legislative body; a body of customers or supporters.
- TD Jakes: They are against what you are against; you share the same enemy, they will only be with you until the victory is obtained. They may leave when they notice that they are not winning with you (or that there may be a quicker route to victory).
- Dictionary: a companion who shares one’s activities or is a fellow member of an organization.
I hope I gave you some insight, as you navigate through life; as you make plans to achieve your dreams and live for Christ. God bless you.
Thank you lord, for your wisdom in each season. I thank you for those who i minister to, and thank you for the tough processes I’ve had to endure to be able to give. I pray for those people who may be unsure of their friends, bored or simply over their friendships- I pray that they are able to understand their own situations from today’s devotional. Even though I may not know exactly who I wrote this for, I trust you lord to bless them. I thank you for them, and I ask that you teach them to guard their hearts and not to hide their hearts behind walls of fear, pretense, hate or self hate/insecurity. I pray that life makes us better, and not bitter. In Jesus name, Amen.