“It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins,” Jesus answered. “This happened so the power of God could be seen in him. John 9:3
Your best work involves timing. If someone wrote the best hip hop song of all time in the Middle Ages, he had bad timing.
The church can learn many things from this blind man’s story. This man was blind from the moment he was born. We know that Jesus saw him, he was not exactly looking for Jesus. We also know that people, the disciples, knew this man and the way he was. From Jesus response when questioned by his disciples, we learn that God allows certain things, so that His works would be exalted. In essence, Jesus sees us! And He sees us in sad, unfair and desperate situations. He sees us going through difficult processes, and He has a pre-set time to show off!
This story caught my attention (again), when I started wondering… if God saw him and his condition and knew He would heal him someday… then why did God make him wait? Then I had to try to answer my own question. These came to mind:
- The man’s character needed to be built because when Jesus comes into your life, He breaks patterns & relationships: There will come a time when declaring Jesus is Lord will have you excommunicated, misunderstood, accused, etc., we must be emotionally, mentally or physically mature.
(he may not have been able to live through the rejection/excommunication by priest & Sadducees)
- God would use this miracle to increase the faith and knowledge of the disciples: If Jesus would have done it at another time, the disciples may not have received it.
(For example, what if Judas and Peter had already failed God- the timing would be off. )
- There was a truth to be revealed, a need to be addressed/clarified: why are people born with illness? Was it sin? Is God angry?
(Jesus explained that God’s glory would be demonstrated by what He would do (heal them, or give them grace to live joy filled lives, etc.)
- Jesus was sent by God on a mission of purpose: to provide a service- to heal the sick, mend the brokenhearted, to set the captives free.
(This was God’s prophetic time for Jesus, this was Jesus’ time)
- The world needed to see that God breaks protocols: The Pharisees & Sadducees needed to see God work out of religious duty and ritual, but from a place of compassion.
(The religious are used to giving to get, to do and get paid, to pray and get answers: but seeing God saw this man, and went to this man by no doing or request of his own… they were baffled)
If we search the scriptures, there are many ways in which God works. We can’t stick to one manner in which God did something once, to do it forever. In this case God used his saliva and dirt from the ground… why did He use this tactic to give sight to this particular man? He had healed blind people before, 2 men by simply touching their eyes (Matthew 9:27-31). Why dirt? In my understanding, dirt is the dust of the ground. And dust is what God used to create Adam. I suppose, God went back to the point of the time when He created this man. Hint: God can go back into our past, even to the embryonic stages and cause change! Jesus used His saliva to heal this man. Saliva is only produced in our mouths, so it can be understood as the word of God. This miracle performed by the power of the Lord tells me that God spoke (saliva) to the material by which we were created (dust).
The Lord says, ‘as long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world’. And although Jesus is no longer here in the flesh, He is in the world through us: He is the Spirit of God, which dwells inside of us. Jesus Christ, is God with us, the Anointed One being sent of God, who does the works of God, who sent Him.
Lord Jesus, change our lives God. Transform those issues which we inherited from sin, from our parents, from demonic assignments and even those traits you gave us to glorify yourself. May we be transformed like Paul, who was zealous- except that he used that fire against Jesus, but when you came into his life YOU redirected his fire. I pray you use our anger in the platforms where they are needed, our violent natures to war in the spirit, and our sensitivity to love others. I present all of our hearts in minds to you and your miracle working power, in the name of Jesus. Amen.