Throw it on the ground,” said the Lord. So Moses threw it on the ground, and the staff became a snake, and he ran from it. Exodus 4:3
Inspiration originates with the Holy Spirit
in the man’s spirit.
The apostle Paul spoke to Timothy and told him to awaken the spiritual gift which was imparted to him. The term impartation is the giving and receiving of spiritual gifts through the laying on of hands. There is a transmission of power from one person to another, and this gift needs to be developed because initially it lays dormant. The gifts are not necessarily for us, they are for others.
A lot of my young clients tell me that they don’t know what they want to be when they grow up, but they know they want to help others. This is what business is, a way to render service to others: a retail store supplies people with their needs of clothing, and other merchandise; pharmacies supply drugs and medical equipment; and TV supplies entertainment.
As a body, each congregation is designed by God in a specific way and in appointed times. There are some churches which focus on developing the fruit of Christ in their church members, maturity in the faith, laying a solid foundation, or works of miracles. These are all necessary processes that each church should go through. It would not be advantageous for a believer to operate in the gifts of the Spirit, and have no fruit of Christ in his/her character. I understood God now, initially, in my first church I began to operate in the gifts of the Spirit, but God changed my church where He began to develop godly character traits in me (I’m not there yet, but I’m glad I’m not where I used to be!).
Do you remember the Lord trained Moses in private? The scriptures say that the Lord told Moses to put the rod down, and he watched it become a snake time and time again. I can testify to the fact that most of what God does with us is in private sessions, one on one time with God. God has a specific time, after preparing us… to then send us on our missions. Moses knew he was called to liberate his people… and he went about it in the flesh, immediately killing an Egyptian. He then had to go through a process in the desert for 40 years, when then God appeared to him in a burning bush! God’s time for Moses came after God trained him, and taught Moses about holiness. Moses was then able to go to Pharaoh, and do all that God has imparted into his spirit.
- Prophecy: To prophesy is to declare the God’s will, to interpret the purposes of God, or to make known in any way the truth of God that is designed to influence people.
- Serving or ministering: which means service of any kind, the practical help to those in need.
- Teaching: the analysis and proclamation of the Word of God, explaining the meaning, context and application to the hearer’s life.
- Encouraging or exhortation: those who call others to listen and follow God’s truth, either by correction or building others up , strengthening their faith or comforting others during difficulties and trials.
- Giving: generous givers share with others; either financially, material things, or giving of their time based on other people’s needs.
- Leadership: a person with the grace to over see, to rules and manage other people with wisdom and grace and the fruit of the Spirit (leads by example).
- Mercy: is like encouragement, but these people have compassion, sympathy and sensitivity towards others.
- Word of wisdom: those who have a grace to speak and able to apply the word to any of life’s situations.
- Word of knowledge: this person has a grace to understand the scriptures with insight, which comes by revelation from God.
- Faith: this person has an immovable confidence in God, His Word, His promises, and the power of prayer to bring about miracles!
- Healing: this person has a grace to heal spiritual and physical sicknesses.
- Miracles: this person has a grace to operate in supernatural things only by the power of God
- Discernment of spirits: is the ability to know if a message is from God or not.
- Tongues: a gift of speaking in angelic tongues without studying, only by the Spirit of God.
- Interpretation of tongues: It involves learning and interpreting messages in different languages, again, without studying, only by God’s spirit.
- Helps: helpers are those who can assist others in the church with without burden and generously.
What gifts has God been developing in you? I’m sure you have at least 1. He gives these to us to edify His church, and to expand His kingdom and glory.
Father God, thank you for your grace. Thank you for supplying to all of our spiritual and earthly needs. Thank you for raising us up with power to expand the knowledge of you, to others. Help us be humble in ministering in these gifts and help us to overcome the critical and unbelieving eyes. In Jesus name, Amen.