Who will listen to what you say? The share of the man who stayed with the supplies is to be the same as that of him who went down to the battle. All will share alike.” 1 Samuel 30:24
Secure the bag!
David was busy fighting the Geshurites, the Girzites and the Amalekites, but upon his return the Amalekites had taken his women and children captive!! Have you ever been busy fighting battles nobody knows about, and after obtaining the victory- you come to find out the enemy has gotten away with your belongings!? We learn from David that we can encourage ourselves in God, and also get our stuff back!
The Lord told David to pursue the Amalekites, and that he would recover all. David demonstrated the wisdom of God and that he was a strategic warrior: he had his eye on what needed protection and was also fully aware of needing to fight the enemy. David and a group of men went to battle and another group stood with the bag. In Chapter 28, I believe David learned his lesson: if there was a group protecting the women and children- the Amalekites would not have been able to take them captive. David understood that they could have won the battle, and lost the bag of gear and supplies.
Some of the men who went to battle, felt that they deserved the spoils for fighting and that those securing the bag did not! David disagreed and rebuked them for downplaying their position. David knew what he was doing, he positioned those men to secure the bag! The bag needed to be protected: it had the supplies, weapons, armor, clothing, jewels, utensils and different kinds of vessels. David was a step ahead of his enemies, if those men were not in position to guard the bag, it was a 100 % possibility that they would have suffered yet another loss. David placed those men in position, so that when the enemies came to attack and steal from them, they wouldn’t be able to – not without a fight anyhow! This story applies to us in many ways:
- the things which God gives us to do are important, and it does not matter who downplays what we do.
- It may not seem an important task or assignment, but it is strategic planning.
- God has a recompense for all players, disregarding the position they play.
- Positions come with assignments of purpose, despite of how they seem to the human eye (this is spiritual battle!).
- There will also be haters, who feel they worked harder than others, and will not understand leadership decisions to promote or God’s decision to bless those protecting the bag.
- And finally, there are seasons when God will have us go out to battle, and other seasons where he will have us stay on guard protecting what is ours. God assigns us to do things in order to protect what is ours.
So what is the bag in spiritual terms? The bag is what we have already invested into others, the disciples we have made, the testimonies we have given, the life we have built, it is the convictions which have replaced old paradigms, it is ministries we have raised up, it is relationships we have built, and it is all we have identified with and are standing on as foundation. Stand firm my people, let us hold on to what is already ours.
Thank you father God. Thank you. Thank you for positioning us according to your will and purpose. Thank you for reminding us to protect what is ours. We give you glory, honor and praise. You are Wonderful Lord. In Jesus name, Amen.