Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So, glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Being the healthiest, strongest and best version of ourselves is what God desires for us.
Jesus had a lot of things to do and a lot of people to see. But He also prioritized, He made time to share with others, and to help them. He made time to do natural things like eat and sleep, but He also made time to pray and spend alone time with God. I think Jesus was into Self-Care.
The bible says that we should enjoy life, so make time to have fun with others (Eccles. 5:18- 19). We should also enjoy food and learn to be healthy (Prov. 23:2, 21). And as I usually remind us all, make time for sleep and rest (Gen. 2:2). Enjoy what you eat (1 Cor. 10:31). The bible says that all we do should glorify God and therefore we are free to enjoy all things, as long as they are beneficial and not enslaving. In what ways do you take care of your body? In what areas do you think you can improve? Do you need ideas to better care for yourself?
- Be clean (bathe, brush, soak, etc.)
- Treat your body (lotions, perfumes, body sprays, hair salon and treatments, etc.)
- Leisure time (spa days like massages, body treatments, listen to music etc.
- Stay active (physically)
- Keep your mind active
- Be creative: create things (cook, draw, paint, dance, sing, write, sow etc.)
- Engage in conversations (meet new people, relate, share your story and listen to others)
- Learn new things (languages, autobiographies, family history, etc.)
- Treat yourself (give yourself a gift: movies, shopping)
- Show yourself love and appreciation
- Spend time alone
- Dress nice, make up, smell good etc. for you
We are only able to care for ourselves, when we love ourselves so love yourself! Praise and embrace all parts of yourself, develop and celebrate your small wins and confront your limitations! By all means be like David who encouraged himself in the Lord.
Father God we thank you for our bodies, and ask for forgiveness for not taking care of ourselves as we should. I pray you help us implement better lifestyles and learn to rest. May you restore our energy, and help us break free from debilitating habits or thought patterns which make us sick. You are the God of strategy and restoration, so I pray you help each of us as only you’d know how. In Jesus name, Amen.